[afripv6-discuss] Are AfriNic's /48 being filtered?

Leo Vegoda leo.vegoda at icann.org
Mon Aug 27 14:02:24 SAST 2007

Hi Jordi,

On 27 Aug 2007, at 12:43, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:

> Hi Leo,
>
> That will be an interesting discussion (RIRs guarantying
> routability) and
> I'm not saying I'm necessarily for it.
>
> What I believe is that it seems a bit silly to me to make policies
> that have
> lot's of chances to be useless. Having a /48 for a critical
> infrastructure
> or PI, which both need to ensure that are reachable, is not good
> versus the
> cost of using a /32. The balance in terms of "total cost" for the
> community
> (wasting addresses vs. having lots of human resources educating or
> instructing people about what to filter, etc., time spent). I will
> much
> prefer more relaxed policies even if they seem to be less
> conservative in
> terms of IPv6 addressing space.

I am not sure whether we have enough data to know whether there is a
general problem or just a few isolated incidents. I expect that there
are more data from the ARIN region as they have made more IPv6 PI
assignments and for a longer time. Maybe we should wait and see if we
are just in a 'running in' period before proposing a change to the
policy.

More importantly though, do you believe that operators are happy to
carry /32 IPv6 PI prefixes but not /48 IPv6 PI prefixes?

Regards,

Leo Vegoda