[afripv6-discuss] Are AfriNic's /48 being filtered?

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Mon Aug 27 12:43:33 SAST 2007

Hi Leo,

That will be an interesting discussion (RIRs guarantying routability) and
I'm not saying I'm necessarily for it.

What I believe is that it seems a bit silly to me to make policies that have
lot's of chances to be useless. Having a /48 for a critical infrastructure
or PI, which both need to ensure that are reachable, is not good versus the
cost of using a /32. The balance in terms of "total cost" for the community
(wasting addresses vs. having lots of human resources educating or
instructing people about what to filter, etc., time spent). I will much
prefer more relaxed policies even if they seem to be less conservative in
terms of IPv6 addressing space.

Regards,
Jordi

> De: Leo Vegoda <leo.vegoda at icann.org>
> Responder a: "leo.vegoda at icann.org" <leo.vegoda at icann.org>
> Fecha: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 19:53:34 +0100
> Para: <jordi.palet at consulintel.es>, "IPv6 in Africa
> <afripv6-discuss at afrinic.net>" <afripv6-discuss at afrinic.net>
> Asunto: Re: [afripv6-discuss] Are AfriNic's /48 being filtered?
>
> Jordi,
>
> On 24 Aug 2007, at 11:18, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:
>
>> Hi Mark,
>>
>> This is the reason why I always insisted that PI should be /32.
>>
>> Many people will IGNORE what AfriNIC or other RIRs tell them and
>> will keep
>> filtering anything longer than /32.
>>
>> Nice to have non-reachable critical infrastructures !
>>
>> In my opinion we should still consider a change in the policy to allow
>> AfriNIC to assign a /32 in case is proven, as in this case, than
>> the /48 is
>> getting filtered.
>
> You raise an interesting point. Is it your opinion that AfriNIC (or
> any RIR) should guarantee routability? If so, to what proportion of
> inter-connected networks should it guarantee routability and how
> should such routability be measured? How would you document such a
> guarantee in a policy?
>
> Regards,
>
> Leo Vegoda

The IPv6 Portal: http://www.ipv6tf.org