[afripv6-discuss] Are AfriNic's /48 being filtered?

Graham Beneke graham-ml at apolix.co.za
Fri Aug 24 12:46:33 SAST 2007

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:

> Many people will IGNORE what AfriNIC or other RIRs tell them and will keep
> filtering anything longer than /32.
>
> Nice to have non-reachable critical infrastructures !
>
> In my opinion we should still consider a change in the policy to allow
> AfriNIC to assign a /32 in case is proven, as in this case, than the /48 is
> getting filtered.

I think that /48 is a very reasonable number to be assigning for PI.
Would certain critical infrastructure organisations not be likely to
apply for multiple PI blocks? Eg Geographically distributed DNS that
they may wish to announce independently.

I personally think that the approach to take with this is for the RIR's
to carefully manage their PI allocations that they can be completely
contiguous. Making it necessary to announce new PI ranges only every 5
to 10 years to the routing community. Thus making it as simple as
possible to apply filter exceptions.

Graham

--
Graham Beneke