[AfrICANN-discuss] [AFRI-Discuss] Call for topics: Joint AFRALO-AfrICANN Statement for ICANN63

Tijani BEN JEMAA tijani.benjemaa at topnet.tn
Fri Sep 14 08:47:29 UTC 2018

Dear all,

The call for topics expired yesterday and we received proposals from Abdulkarim, Wisedom, Barrack, Bamba, Hadia, Abiola and Liz. Thank you for participating in the topic selection process.
The topics received are new gTLD subsequent procedure, Open data, EPDP and IDN / Universal acceptance.
Seun commented on the proposal for EDPD saying the EPDP work is very fast moving and there is a high chance that whatever we have as a draft may become obsolete by AFRALO/AFRICANN meeting. I agree with him.
The new gTLD subsequent procedure is one of the most hot subject today at ICANN. It was proposed by several persons. But it contains several topics such as open round or consecutive rounds, application fees, applicant support, community applications, etc. If we decide to address them all together, our statement will be superficial. We need to be focused and give clear and precise opinion to have the required impact.
I think we should choose among:
Open round or consecutive rounds
Application fees,
Applicant support,
Community applications
I propose « Community Applications » since in the 2012 round, the community application was a big failure, and I think we need to give our opinion on how to make it successful. Please give your proposals as soon as possible, and not later than Monday 17 September.
To respect the timeline, I also propose that we start forming the drafting team so that on 17 September, we will have the final topic identified and the drafting team formed. I’m volunteering to be on the drafting team.

Tijani BEN JEMAA
Executive Director
Phone: +216 98 330 114
            +216 52 385 114