[AfrICANN-discuss] AfriDNS - Internet governance at the local level

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Fri Nov 17 11:03:32 UTC 2017

Some time ago, the ZACR was invited to attend with local government
people to tour around Gauteng townships. The primary objective was to
have as many businesses become registered as possible, give them VAT
numbers - etc. The ZACR was invited along to talk about Domain Names and
their value. I was contacted because the ZACR does not sell Domain Names
to the public but I as a Registrar can. I looked at what I sell and
realised I had no suitable product, so I created one - which I call my
Entrepreneur Package. This gives the customer three e-mail addresses and
a template driven website. Its a very simple CMS - it takes already
created contact info , creates a map image of the persons location,
allows them to choose some backgrounds and add two boxes of information,
one for "about me" and one for "what I sell". Thus - including
purchasing the Domain, to creating a simple website - time invested
should be under 30 minutes. For this I charge R16+VAT a month - or with
the Domain Name, just under R300 for the year - just over US$21 for the
year.
(Example at https://dark-theme.posix.co.za, displays reasonably well on
a smart-phone, tablet or laptop, complete with free "Let's Encrypt" SSL,
DNSSEC and DANE service)

The exercise was for some reason, futile, as soon as unregistered
businesses saw that it was the Tax ministry that was trying to get
businesses to register. =-O

Having completed the great DNS Africa Study (https://dnsafrica.study),
one now obvious reason that renewals of domains do not happen is because
many people have no value attached to a Domain, that is, no Website or
e-mail.

I believe that many more businesses would register domains - but its not
just the cost of a Domain, its Web Hosting and Web Development costs.
Also, content needs to be periodically "refreshed" - which also costs.

Perhaps more Registrars could offer such packages?

Remember, once a user has an e-mail address - its pretty much there for
life.
Registrars then get repeat business, Registries then get repeat business...

On 17/11/2017 11:25, Dewole Ajao wrote:
> This statement right here is insightful but again nothing is ever as
> simple as it appears, right?
>
> /"... A domain by itself is of no value. If you are trying to
> encourage content then it’s a very different conversation" - Mr. Michele/
>
> The process probably starts with a (potential) customer having content
> that they want to share;
> At some point, there is a crowd and they decide they need their own
> identity to stand out (of course they will pick the domain name
> extension that's least stressful and most affordable to acquire);
> Then the registrars had better hope they are vain/rich enough to grab
> many extensions of their chosen name from Day 1;
> Again, hopefully they get big/vain enough to care about identity
> preservation/protection and grab a few more popular extensions and
> hopefully keep renewing them.
>
> Personally, I believe that while content might be the starting point,
> vanity and profiteering are the amplifiers of the global domain name
> industry.
>
> Some other pointers might be the state of Internet connectivity - how
> significant are the connected populations in these places? Do business
> owners think it's important to acquire unique Internet real estate?
> Not unless they view it as being significantly revenue-impacting. I
> know of a Nigerian gossip blogger who for many years was reportedly
> raking in thousands of dollars in daily advert revenue and all she had
> was a .blogspot.com subdomain. When she finally had to setup a domain
> name to reduce Google's control over her visibility on the web (only
> in the last 2 years or so), she opted for a .com even though she could
> afford a .ng domain.
>
> While stable infrastructure, pricing, ease of payment, and registry
> automation are important considerations, I think the younger ccTLD
> operators have a lot of enlightenment and hoping to do (if the local
> markets are their targets). Unless they can figure out ways to
> influence local development in areas like connectivity, web hosting,
> online payment and e-commerce in general, there is still a long way to go.
>
> Dewole.

Mark James ELKINS  -  Posix Systems - (South) Africa
mje at posix.co.za       Tel: +27.128070590  Cell: +27.826010496