[AfrICANN-discuss] AfriDNS - Internet governance at the local level

Dewole Ajao dewole at forum.org.ng
Fri Nov 17 09:25:52 UTC 2017

This statement right here is insightful but again nothing is ever as simple as it appears, right?

"... A domain by itself is of no value. If you are trying to encourage content then it’s a very different conversation" - Mr. Michele

The process probably starts with a (potential) customer having content that they want to share;
At some point, there is a crowd and they decide they need their own identity to stand out (of course they will pick the domain name extension that's least stressful and most affordable to acquire);
Then the registrars had better hope they are vain/rich enough to grab many extensions of their chosen name from Day 1;
Again, hopefully they get big/vain enough to care about identity preservation/protection and grab a few more popular extensions and hopefully keep renewing them.

Personally, I believe that while content might be the starting point, vanity and profiteering are the amplifiers of the global domain name industry.

Some other pointers might be the state of Internet connectivity - how significant are the connected populations in these places? Do business owners think it's important to acquire unique Internet real estate? Not unless they view it as being significantly revenue-impacting. I know of a Nigerian gossip blogger who for many years was reportedly raking in thousands of dollars in daily advert revenue and all she had was a .blogspot.com subdomain. When she finally had to setup a domain name to reduce Google's control over her visibility on the web (only in the last 2 years or so), she opted for a .com even though she could afford a .ng domain.

While stable infrastructure, pricing, ease of payment, and registry automation are important considerations, I think the younger ccTLD operators have a lot of enlightenment and hoping to do (if the local markets are their targets). Unless they can figure out ways to influence local development in areas like connectivity, web hosting, online payment and e-commerce in general, there is still a long way to go.

Dewole.