[AfrICANN-discuss] AfriDNS - Internet governance at the local level

Dr Eberhard W Lisse el at lisse.na
Thu Nov 16 10:58:58 UTC 2017

Alan,

Of course, you confuse cause and effect.

Never mind that one just can not compare ccTLDs to gTLDs.

The most important difference between ccTLDs and gTLDs is that the
former are related to the ISO Code Element associated with the country
or territory concerned (which are often very small markets) whereas the
latter are global.

And, you can not compare ccTLD to ccTLD because every one is different
and everyone operates under a different framework and model.

You can not even compare gTLD to gTLD. As an example .AFRICA is most
certainly different from .COM :-)-O

That said, while I personally firmly believe that competition is good,
of course I would love to have annual revenue of 86 Million ZAR.

el

On 16/11/2017 11:51, Alan Levin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been studying African cctld for many years.
>
> The cost of registering an African cctld in Uganda / Nigeria / Ghana
> / Botswana / Angola, etc appears to remain totally out of kilter with
> the global market rates.  To buy a .ke for a local is around USD6, but
> for a foreigner it's >USD17 and they appear to be one of the cheapest.
>
> In South Africa a domain goes for less than USD5, and they
> are available globally at the same price. We have over 1.2m
> registrations... significantly more than any other African cctld...
>
> How can I encourage our clients to buy African cctlds when there is so
> much more to chose from nowadays?
>
> Sincerely
>
> Alan

PO Box 8421             \     /