[AfrICANN-discuss] bad ICANN nomcom diversity - Re: ICANN 2016 Nominating Committee Announces Selections - unfortunate Africa distribution

SM sm at resistor.net
Fri Sep 2 10:39:46 UTC 2016

Hi Paulos,
At 01:20 02-09-2016, Dr Paulos B Nyirenda wrote:
>I have been trying to work out and understand whether the ICANN
>NomCom could have done better than this in this selection and I find
>that there could be an inherent problem with diversity
>considerations within the ICANN NomCom
>
>They say that a picture says more than a thousand words, so, take a
>look at the 2016 ICANN NomCom and assess this ICANN asset for your serves:
>https://www.icann.org/sites/default/files/assets/nomcom2016-members-1200x800-12nov15-en.jpg
>.
>This is the group photo available at: https://www.icann.org/nomcom2016
>
>Is it diverse enough ?

I compared the image with the ones at
http://www.internetsociety.org/who-we-are/board-trustees  They are
similar in diversity.

>It is then pertinet to ask if this kind of diversity in ICANN NomCom
>could have led to the unfortunate selection of Board members in the
>recent NomCom announcement. I tend to think so, question is, can
>they see beyond their noses ?

That is a good question.  According to
https://atlarge.icann.org/ralos/afralo the AFRALO Leadership is
supposed to reach out to internet users on the issues in the scope of
ICANN.  A few minutes ago, I found out that Barrack Otieno is part of
AFRALO.  I would like to thank him as he is the only person who is
part of AFRALO who participated in this discussion.  I'll also thank
Mike Silber as he is the only ICANN Board member who participated in
the discussion.

>My understanding is that for these things to get this bad at this
>level, something in the oversight function in ICANN is missing or
>has gone wrong and it should really not be happening in 2016 when we
>are all very conscious of the IANA Transition.

The persons representing Africa (excluding the persons I mentioned
above) do not seem to consider that the issue which you raised as
something to be concerned about.

Regards,
-sm