[AfrICANN-discuss] ICANN 2016 Nominating Committee Announces Selections - unfortunate Africa d

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 07:14:28 UTC 2016

Hello SM,

I have managed to download it on my end and sent it to you. You could
as well check under the resources section.

Thank you for the feedback. I also appreciate the fact that the
African community is discussing this matter that was raised by Dr.
Nyirenda. It is a common secret that we have experienced some tensions
whenever we have elections for our regional organizations based on
regional or language issues. This issue has been discussed in many
meetings including at the Africa Internet Summit. Going forward we
should continuously be deliberate and intentional in ensuring that
leadership roles are distributed in a way that reflects regional
balance akin to what AFRINIC does. Be that as it may , i am also
cognizant of the fact that it becomes harder to implement this at an
International (ICANN) Level. However, this is something that the
NOMCOM can look into to enhance and encourage  participation from
Sub-regions. I think the IETF really needs it as well if we are to
increase participation from the African Region as discussed during the
Africa Internet Summit this year.

Regards

--
Barrack O. Otieno