[AfrICANN-discuss] [AFRI-Discuss] Call for a theme for the Joint AFRALO/AfrICANN Meeting at ICANN 54 Dublin

Dr Eberhard W Lisse el at lisse.NA
Thu Sep 17 15:15:18 UTC 2015

As you know I doubt that you think much.

Using a number of email contributions from (mainly unaffected)
parties as a rationale is plain nonsense and confirms my doubts to
certainty, never mind that 2 out of a 100 shows exactly the
opposite.

I agree with you that this does concern this region.  But, I did
not say that.  I said it does not affect the ECONOMY (of this region).

Internet penetration has NOTHING to do with ICANN/IANA in particular
not the transition.

I also think if you underwent a reform it could affect how we use
the the tool called Internet.  Or global warming, or aliens landing
in Ile-Ife.  Could affect the Internet.  Or not.

I am just trying to be efficient here.  Since nobody in the ICANN
community gives a dead rat's fuzzy behind about what is shared (ie
these AFRALO resolutions), and they do indeed achieve nothing, we
should just go to the pub.

el

On 2015-09-17 16:41, Seun Ojedeji wrote:
> I don't think it's accurate to say this does not concern this
> region otherwise we will not have seen over 100+ contributions to
> ccwg on accountability with just 2 of the contributions from
> Africa!  The fact that 98+ of the contributions came from other
> continents should at least be of concern and raise our curiosity
> on why other regions are taking this seriously.
>
> Maybe I should state 2 reasons why a developing region like Africa
> could be affected by ICANN accountability/IANA transition.
>
> - Internet penetration is increasing in the region, being part of
> it by using is not enough.  Participating in determining how it
> should serve the region/world should be important to us as well.
>
> - ICANN as the global coordinator of the internet identifiers (the
> IANA operator) is undergoing a reform that could affect how we use
> the tool called internet
>
> So if we recognise this as an issue, the solution you refer will
> then (as usual) be collectively developed on the list and shared
> to the ICANN community (which is beyond AFRALO/Africann).
>
> Regards
> Sent from my Asus Zenfone2
> Kindly excuse brevity and typos.
>
> On 17 Sep 2015 14:46, "Dr Eberhard W Lisse" <el at lisse.na
> <mailto:el at lisse.na>> wrote:
>
>     I really do not have any idea how the IANA Transition and/or ICANN
>     Accountability could in any, even marginal, way affect any
>     developing economy.
>
>     There might be a case for the effect, if any, on ccTLD Managers in
>     developing countries, but then this would be a ccNSO issue, and in
>     any case not even addressed by the CCWG/CWG/ICG work.
>
>     Why don't you draft a solution, we agree to it on the list, saving
>     the proposer the embarrassment of having to actually read it aloud,
>     do with it whatever it is you guys do with these resolutions, and go
>     to the pub instead on Wednesday afternoon.
>
>     el
[...]
PO Box 8421             \     /
Bachbrecht, Namibia     ;____/