[AfrICANN-discuss] [AFRI-Discuss] Call for a theme for the Joint AFRALO/AfrICANN Meeting at ICANN 54 Dublin

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 14:41:42 UTC 2015

I don't think it's accurate to say this does not concern this region
otherwise we will not have seen over 100+ contributions to ccwg on
accountability with just 2 of the contributions from Africa! The fact that
98+ of the contributions came from other continents should at least be of
concern and raise our curiosity on why other regions are taking this
seriously.

Maybe I should state 2 reasons why a developing region like Africa could be
affected by ICANN accountability/IANA transition.

- Internet penetration is increasing in the region, being part of it by
using is not enough. Participating in determining how it should serve the
region/world should be important to us as well.

- ICANN as the global coordinator of the internet identifiers (the IANA
operator) is undergoing a reform that could affect how we use the tool
called internet

So if we recognise this as an issue, the solution you refer will then (as
usual) be collectively developed on the list and shared to the ICANN
community (which is beyond AFRALO/Africann).

Regards
Sent from my Asus Zenfone2
Kindly excuse brevity and typos.