[AfrICANN-discuss] Fwd: [Soac-infoalert] Fwd: Indian Government Declares Support for Multistakeholder Model of Internet Governance at ICANN53

Olévié Kouami olivierkouami at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 17:50:32 UTC 2015

Hi !
Please, for your information.
Svp, pour votre information.
-Olévié-

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Olive <david.olive at icann.org>
Date: 2015-06-22 16:35 GMT+00:00
Subject: [Soac-infoalert] Fwd: Indian Government Declares Support for
Multistakeholder Model of Internet Governance at ICANN53
To: "soac-infoalert at icann.org" <soac-infoalert at icann.org>

Sent from my iPhone

 David A. Olive
 Vice President, Policy Development Support
General Manager, ICANN Regional Headquarters –Istanbul
Hakki Yeten Cad. Selenium Plaza No:10/C K:10 34349 Fulya, Besiktas, Istanbul

 Direct Line: +90.212.999.6212
Mobile:       + 1. 202.341.3611 <+%201.%20202.341.3611>
 Mobile:       +90.533.341.6550
Email:  david.olive at icann.org
www.icann.org

   <http://icann.org>
 *News Release*
*June 22, 2015*
------------------------------
 *FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE*
Indian Government Declares Support for Multistakeholder Model of Internet
Governance at ICANN53
*Buenos Aires, Argentina*

Indian Minister of Communications and Information Technology Ravi Shankar
Prasad announced today India’s support for the multistakeholder model of
Internet governance, during the opening ceremony of ICANN’s 53rd public
meeting in Buenos Aires.

“The Internet must remain plural. It must be managed by a multistakeholder
system,” said Prasad. “Not only do we support multistakeholderism, but also
we encourage multistakeholderism itself to embrace all geographies and all
societies. We will partner with you all to make this a reality. We must
work toward this new form of digital democracy.”

On March 14, 2014, the United States Government announced its intent to
transition its stewardship of the IANA functions to the global
multistakeholder community. Minister Prasad’s statement of support marks
not only an important milestone for the transition, but also speaks to the
continued success of the multistakeholder model.

“Today, with India joining this group of countries that openly support the
multistakeholder model of Internet governance, we increase our ranks
significantly, said ICANN President and CEO Fadi Chehadé. “The decision
that was made by India is a significant decision.”

Also during the opening ceremony, NIC.AR Director Gabriel Brenta discussed
how NIC.AR incorporated the multistakeholder model into their business
operations, stating, “Some years ago, we decided to make NIC.AR to go
through a change. And that change was in line with the developments that
were taking place all over the world. What our administration was doing in
terms of domain names, we wanted to reflect all those changes, all those
improvements, all those developments in what we believe has been our duty
since then.”

ICANN also announced the winners of the 2015 Multistakeholder Ethos award -
 community leader Cheryl Langdon Orr and Africa Internet pioneer Nii
Quaynor. The award is given to members of global Internet community who
have demonstrated extraordinary commitment to the multistakeholder model.

More than 1,400 members of the global Internet community will meet over the
course of the week, both in-person and remotely, to discuss and debate the
future of ICANN and Internet governance. The meeting’s 300+ sessions are a
continuation of the community’s dedication to a global, secure, stable and
resilient Internet, and their hard work in ensuring the success of the IANA
stewardship transition.

“People have put enormous effort to make this multistakeholder effort go,
and thank you. Thank you all for this effort. It will be recorded in
history,” said Chehadé.

Those unable to attend ICANN53 in person are highly encouraged to
participate remotely. Details for doing so can be found for any of the
sessions listed at https://buenosaires53.icann.org/en/schedule-full.

###

To learn more about ICANN53 in Buenos Aires, please visit:
https://buenosaires53.icann.org/en

To download high-resolution photos of the meeting, please visit:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/icann

Media Contacts
  *Alexandra Dans*
Communications Manager, LAC
Montevideo, Uruguay
*Tel:* +598 95 831 442
*Email:* alexandra.dans at icann.org
 *James Cole*
Global Media Coordinator
Washington, D.C.
*Tel:* +1 202 733 7598
*Email:* james.cole at icann.org

About ICANN
 ICANN's mission is to ensure a stable, secure and unified global Internet.
To reach another person on the Internet you have to type an address into
your computer - a name or a number. That address has to be unique so
computers know where to find each other. ICANN coordinates these unique
identifiers across the world. Without that coordination we wouldn't have
one global Internet. ICANN was formed in 1998. It is a not-for-profit
public-benefit corporation with participants from all over the world
dedicated to keeping the Internet secure, stable and interoperable. It
promotes competition and develops policy on the Internet's unique
identifiers. ICANN doesn't control content on the Internet. It cannot stop
spam and it doesn't deal with access to the Internet. But through its
coordination role of the Internet's naming system, it does have an
important impact on the expansion and evolution of the Internet. For more
information please visit:

Olévié Ayaovi Agbenyo KOUAMI
Président/CEO de INTIC4DEV (http:www.intic4dev.org)
Directeur-Adjoint de O and K IT sarl (Editeur de logiciels de gestion SIGE
(Syscoa/Ohada)
SG de ESTETIC  - Association Togolaise des professionnels des TIC (
http://www.estetic.tg)
ICANN-NPOC Communications Committee Chair (http://www.icann.org/ et
http://www.npoc.org/)
Membre du FOSSFA (www.fossfa.net) et Membre de de Internet Society (