[AfrICANN-discuss] Breaking News: DotConnectAfrica Trust WinsResounding Victory against ICANN in IRP Accountability

Mwendwa Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Fri Jul 17 18:08:26 UTC 2015

Thank you Seun,

The community is caught in between not really knowing what is happening.
We are left to make judgement from the many news articles and blogs written
by either independed or partisan interests.

We have a saying in Swahili "fahali wawili wanapopigana, ni nyasi huumia".
Loosely translated as "When two bulls fight, its the grass that suffers".
In this case, the community is missing out in use of the important .africa
string. For example,  the East African community is forced to use eac.int
while eac.africa would have sufficed. Of course there are other examples
like ecowas.africa comesa.africa sadc.africa e.t.c.

I think we should be every firm in castigating ICANN for not following due
diligence in the .africa application. The transparency and accountability
track should ensure there are mechanisms in place to avoid the scenario we
are in from occurring again. The  bill of the IRP process which is in
excess of US $ 606,114 could have been put into better use.