[AfrICANN-discuss] Breaking News: DotConnectAfrica Trust Wins Resounding Victory against ICANN in IRP Accountability

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Mon Jul 13 13:29:12 UTC 2015

On Mon, 2015-07-13 at 14:00 +0100, Seun Ojedeji wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 1:41 PM, Mwendwa Kivuva
> <Kivuva at transworldafrica.com> wrote:
>
>         I would not be so keen to dismiss DCA because they know have
>         an opportunity to go back to the drawing board, and probably
>         negotiate with ZACR for a revenue sharing deal. Its all about
>         revenue isn't it?
>
> Hi Mwendwa,
>

> What will happen is that the DCA application will be returned into the
> system for review side by side with that of ZACR and then the better
> application (based on the guideline) would be selected. There is no
> revenue sharing that will happen here.

Perhaps looking forward... This is a Geo-application.

The ZACR application has already passed the Geographic panel. The
requirement here was to have at least 60% acceptance (letters of
support) from the 54 African countries. As the ZACR passed - they must
have 60% (more like over 85% I believe). Strangely enough, DCA still
insists that ZACR has zero letters.... although I believe the opposite
to be more probable.

There can only be one letter from any one country.
It is therefore mathematically impossible for DCA to pass.

The DCA can only further delay the process. I believe the inevitable is
that ZACR will continue with the Delegation. ZACR has already signed the
contract with ICANN to run AFRICA.

Revenue share??? Without benefit?? Why??

Revenue share will also mean less funding for the dotAfrica Foundation -
and therefore less funding for Internet development funding in Africa -
like Content Development, ccTLD Development - etc. Why would anyone want
this to happen?? (unless tied to the purse strings of DCA)

>         Although I see a deliberate attempt to deny Africa access to
>         its own string.

Yes - by DCA, by delaying the process.