[AfrICANN-discuss] Breaking News: DotConnectAfrica Trust Wins Resounding Victory against ICANN in IRP Accountability

Douglas Onyango ondouglas at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 13:17:08 UTC 2015

Kivuva,
On 13 July 2015 at 15:41, Mwendwa Kivuva <Kivuva at transworldafrica.com> wrote:
> Probably Douglas,  that is why ICANN started the accountability track to see how ICANN can be made more accountable to its members.

Not entirely. It's no secret that ICANN has for years advanced the
notion of its great accountability and transparency record. Fadi's
recent remarks, placing ICANN's record with the top 5% of US
organizations [quoted] illustrates my point. The drive for better
transparency and accountability however, has been more a result of
several years of pushing from the community than it is from the inside
of ICANN.

That being said, I am glad ICANN has embraced it......I am cautiously
optimistic that things will improve.

> I would not be so keen to dismiss DCA because they know have an opportunity to go back to the drawing board, and probably negotiate with ZACR for a revenue sharing deal. Its all about revenue isn't it?

Unlike Nigel, I like my hat on my head :-) but like him, such a move
would seriously surprise me! DCA's application in its current form has
some serious loopholes, least of which is the lack of governmental
support. Unless they find a way to twist ICANN's arm into giving them
the time to solicit this support, their application is DOA. And
needless to say this means zero leverage on the negotiating
table.......do the math.

> Although I see a deliberate attempt to deny Africa access to its own string.

Africa denied of its own string ? Yes, deliberate ? No -- not unless
you speak of DCA and its efforts, which we all know don't hold
unilateral power on this decision either.