[AfrICANN-discuss] Breaking News: DotConnectAfrica Trust Wins Resounding Victory against ICANN in IRP Accountability

Dr Eberhard Lisse el at lisse.NA
Mon Jul 13 11:52:49 UTC 2015

Actually there is no victory.

And no Press Release, issued by DCA (only thinly disguised) can make
it a victory.

But, ICANN has lost and both ICANN and the GAC have received
stinging rebukes with regards to their working methods.

ICANN was ordered to continue with the processing in due course.

I personally have no doubt, that the application will fail on the
merits, by the way.

I do however fully agree that this has major implications for ICANN,
the GAC and both of their working methods, accountability and
transparency.

And I have already raised these implications in the CCWG
Accountability.

el

On 2015-07-13 12:34, Douglas Onyango wrote:
> I am more concerned about the tangential, but very potent issue of
> how this victory is going to shape governance at ICANN, especially
> with regard to GAC advice.
>
> The witness testimonies, and the subsequent ruling in this case
> clearly highlight gaps in how GAC and other advisory bodies advise
> the board and how the board considers this advice.
>
> I will be keen to see the kind of changes that ICANN makes to its
> working on account of this case.
>
> Regards,
[...]

PO Box 8421             \     /