[AfrICANN-discuss] Re: [technical-issues] Fwd: [ALAC-Announce] ICANN News Alert -- Remaining IPv4 Addresses to be Redistributed to Regional Internet Registries | Address Redistribution Signals that IPv4 is Nearing Total Exhaustion

Dr Eberhard Lisse el at lisse.NA
Wed May 21 18:40:53 SAST 2014

You got me started there, pal!

on 2014-05-21, 16:58 Seun Ojedeji said the following:
> sent from Google nexus 4
> kindly excuse brevity and typos.
> On 21 May 2014 12:28, "Dr Eberhard Lisse" <el at lisse.na
> <mailto:el at lisse.na>> wrote:
>>
>> Olivier,
>>

>> Some ISPs, in particular in developing countries find access to
>> resources to renew their (whole) infrastructure not as easy as
>> others.
>>
> And what could be the cause?

Has been amply discussed already in this thread.

>> I prefer reasonably well functioning obsolete infrastructure to
>> very well functioning unavailable infrastructure.
>>
> Are you saying this is the mindset of the African ISPs or the
> clients?

No, I am saying that I prefer reasonably well functioning obsolete
infrastructure to very well functioning unavailable infrastructure.

>> The approach must be, even if extremely difficult to implement,
>> do find ways of upgrading infrastructure in a way that doesn't
>> break the bank :-)-O.
>>
> Difficulty in implementation is not the problem.  The effect on
> bank is ;)
>>
>> This, however, and this is where I agree with you, violently
>> :-)-O, must not serve as an excuse for us lazy Africans begging
>> for handouts, again.
>>
> At times I wonder why you say things this way.

Because it is true?

> Even developed nations seeks for capacity building.  If technical
> capacity is what is hindering some(which is not likely) then there
> is noting wrong about seeking help!

It's not even technical Capacity or the lack thereof.

For example DNS is simple, well described, ample books such as
Cricket Liu's bible, DNSSEC is not that difficult, equally well
described, ample books.  An elderly Gynaecologist can figure it out.
But African powerhouses such as .NG, .KE and .ZA can't?  PULEEZE!!!!

IPv6 is not that difficult, well described, ample books, but the
hardware becomes a factor (see above).  Still we do nothing about
it.  Other than talk.  And beg for handouts.

And of course get crap hardware that are not just too obsolete even
for our reasonable requirements, if even working, but the only
reason it gets dumped here is it's too expensive to dispose of in an
environmentally friendly way in the donor country.

Never mind that a fictitious sum is then allocated as "worth" and
headlined as "Funds Received".

Capacity doesn't come from flying business class to work shops and
complaining in the bar every night how difficult it is to bring the
(luxury) purchases made with it through customs at home.

Capacity doesn't come from Funding Partners.  They only pay
consultants (of their own nationalities) to set something up which
crumbles 27 seconds after the funding runs out.

It's the Initiative that is lacking.  I can guarantee you if you had
a local Registrar capable of EPP and the like and conform with
things like reporting and access control/security, and needed just
the little push to make it to ICANN approval (for .AFRICA for
example) I really don't think it would happen.

Mouhammed Diop did it even before .SN had EPP.

I don't know whether our local guys are thinking about it, but one
managed to get EPP sorted themselves (with a little help from us)
and another one is thinking about it.

I must also confess that I don't have a clue whether our own local
name servers can do IPv6, but I will find this out, if so add the
addresses and if not have a friendly chat with our hoster :-)-O

>> Please note that I have CCed the AFRICANN list :-)-O
>>
> Yeah and I have filleted out the list I think I don't currently
> belong to

Don't worry, I have put it back in.

el