[AfrICANN-discuss] Re: [technical-issues] Fwd: [ALAC-Announce] ICANN News Alert -- Remaining IPv4 Addresses to be Redistributed to Regional Internet Registries | Address Redistribution Signals that IPv4 is Nearing Total Exhaustion

Dr Eberhard Lisse el at lisse.NA
Wed May 21 13:23:02 SAST 2014

Olivier,

I have to take issue somewhat with your statement sympathy wise.

Some ISPs, in particular in developing countries find access to
resources to renew their (whole) infrastructure not as easy as
others.

I prefer reasonably well functioning obsolete infrastructure to very
well functioning unavailable infrastructure.

Maybe this is because even though becoming rightly spoiled from
current bandwidth offerings, I do remember uucp/uuPC and leased
lines with 9600 bps :-)-O

The approach must be, even if extremely difficult to implement, do
find ways of upgrading infrastructure in a way that doesn't break
the bank :-)-O.

This, however, and this is where I agree with you, violently :-)-O,
must not serve as an excuse for us lazy Africans begging for
handouts, again.

Please note that I have CCed the AFRICANN list :-)-O

el

on 2014-05-21, 11:40 Michele Neylon - Blacknight said the following:
> Olivier
>

> The problems are at two levels:
>

> 1- end user equipment
>
> 2 - network level
>

> The network level issues *should* be addressed by most of the
> bigger ISPs and telcos, especially as so many of them have been
> rolling out newer services like 4G, fibre etc.,
>
> The "end user" bit, however, is a bit thornier.  Any large ISP
> would have thousands of DSL modems, routers etc., that won't
> support IPv6 and probably can't be upgraded ..
>

> I know that in some countries ISPs have taken the lead, but
> unfortunately Ireland and several other countries aren't on that
> list
>
> Over here there is at present only one or two small commercial
> ISPs over native v6, all the others ran trials but never actually
> turned it on
>

> Regards
>

> Michele
[...]