[AfrICANN-discuss] ICANN 49 : Supporting the DNS Industry in Underserved Regions

Jean Robert Hountomey hrobert at africacert.org
Wed Mar 26 07:45:45 SAST 2014

Hello Pierre,
Thanks for this. Something I would like to see discussed if weather
there is a plan at ICANN to spur the establishment of Accredited
Registrars in LDC countries in Africa
(https://www.un.org/en/development/desa/policy/cdp/ldc/ldc_list.pdf).
-  Would ICANN support business incubation initiatives ? If yes how?
- Do you (ICANN) envision building partnership with institutions like
WorldBank, AfDB, African Union etc.. to spur DNS entrepreneurship,
since it may be difficult for start up to raise resources...
- Pondering on the Costs and responsibilities needed to operate an
Accredited Registrar Business VS the market conditions and the
difficult path to healthy business operations in some of these
countries, I will be interested to see a repository of successful
business cases ...
- Could ICANN provide resources in terms of education, business cases,
mentoring through peers to African Entrepreneurs?
Have a good meeting in Singapore.
Jean Robert