[AfrICANN-discuss] IETF89 starts tomorrow March 2nd in London with ICANN as a host: Some interesting reading and remote participation.

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 18:15:39 SAST 2014

Hello Victor,

On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 2:36 PM, Victor Ndonnang
<ndonnang at nvconsulting.biz>wrote:

> El,
>
> I totally agree with you on this. That why I attached Dr. Steve Crocker
> post and the "about" IETF links to my message. While acknowledging the
> great work of our Af*, more efforts are needed to improve the participation
> (not by attending physical meetings)

I had thought you will put a "just" before the "by" ;). Nevertheless i
think its good to be more specific; when you say more efforts, what efforts
exactly do you refer?

> and contribution to the IETF as It was the spirit of the African Internet
> Standards Forum (
> http://www.internetsociety.org/events/african-internet-standards-forum ).

Yeah i remember attending this particular one perhaps this could be revived
(as i don't remember it happening last year) however it should focus more
on specific drafs that can be discussed, it should seek how best to present
the IETF in a way that will communicate better to those attending.

>  African Engineers should learn more how to create rather than been
> "certified user". Been a Cisco Certified Engineer is good but there is much
> more beyond...Learning how to create a router rather than how to use it.

Sure, that is the normal mindset that a serious minded individual would
poses.

 For information Cisco is one of the major sponsor of the IETF.

Well its Internet should it be surprising that CISCO supports IETF? as a
matter of fact i think they contribute to development of RFCs more than any
other organisation (those i refer to having it in their job description)

 May be African young engineers need mentorship on how to follow and
> participate in technical mailing lists? If yes, this should been done at
> the University and national levels.

I agree especially if there was something at stake for the universities and
nations

>  As El. said, our house is really not in order (this is true for many
> African countries).

Sure we have a lot of home tidying up to do and we will continue to have
it, however this is not the only thing that hinders/allow our participation
(both remote and physical).

 "If you are not strong locally, you will be empty globally" said Dr. Nii (
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLKAm5qgldE&feature=youtu.be )

Yes i agree, and this is why i have not in anyway indicated IETF
participation by Africans at a global level, but rather at a local level
through running events on African soil that will stimulate discussion in
other part of the continent. AfNOG and the children that emerged after is
perhaps a good thing to reference in this regard.

My entire summary is that, we need to feel it before we can act it!

Cheers!

<http://goog_1872880453>seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng
<seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng>*