[AfrICANN-discuss] The Status of the Draft African Union Cybersecurity Convention: June 2013

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 12:18:38 SAST 2014

Thanks to CIPIT for taking this issue head-on. I appreciate the proposed
amendment[1] and also support it. Hopefully those amendments will be
incorporated accordingly.

Thanks again

Cheers!

African Heads of States are scheduled to sign into law the African Union
Convention on Cybersecurity at the 23rd Ordinary Session AU Summit in
Malabo, Equatorial Guinea, 20-27 June 2014. This is part of the continent’s
efforts to harmonize African laws in relation to e-commerce, personal data
protection, cyber security and cyber crime.

At the Center for Intellectual Property and Information Technology Law
(CIPIT), we have tracked the legislative process of the Convention and we
outline below in summary format why, if passed in its current form, the
Convention will have substantial negative effects on Africa’s online
economy, civic relations, human rights and International relations.

 We offer research-informed recommendations
<http://cipit.org/index.php/downloadablessss/finish/5-cipit-presentations/265-proposed-amendments/0>
to the African Union on how to improve the draft Convention and hereby
appeal to African governments to delay signing the Convention until they
undertake a thorough assessment of such effects.

http://cipit.org/index.php/getting-started/aucc

ref

[1]amendment suggestion by CIPIT:
http://cipit.org/index.php/downloadablessss/finish/5-cipit-presentations/265-proposed-amendments/0