[AfrICANN-discuss] "Vint Cerf on ICANN and NTIA"

Dr Yassin Mshana ymshana2003 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 08:59:18 SAST 2014

Oga Seun...Greetings!
Thanks for this although I can that you misread the message somehow.

As you can see how the discussion is going, my suggestion did not aim at
asking ICANN to do anything! It meant for African community to inform about
ICANN within itself...as part of Self Reliance. I can see this Strand has
not been emphasised in the Strategy for Africa. Information and Knowledge
about ICANN processes should be ahead if the Internet penetration that is
being measured and mentioned everyday..?

This lack of information and knowledge came out clearly during the ICANN
London mtg..when African reps stood up to talk to the global community of
ICANN about the .africa gTLD process during the Public Forum. It seems that
there has been a  'misinformation' about ICANN Policies and Processes at
high levels. To say the less...the AUC was mislead (unfortunately) and it
is now embarrassing Africans.

If I may, it is sad to mention that bery few people know about ICANN and
that has become an advantage to a small group of Africans who are in thr
ICANN systems . That is what had been happening..:-(.

Technically Africa should be ready as far as ISOC and AfriNIC are making
the effort. What is missing is the management of Internet business in
Africa!  This quality will not just appear from nowhere especially when
there is no Fairness and Professional approach to it. There have been
incidences of unprofessional conduct by the few who ate aware of ICANN
processes to date.

Please see what Hafedh is suggesting and move it forward if yoi agree with
due respect.

Kind regards

Yassin