RE: _[AfrICANN-discuss]_Fadi_Chehadé:_If_We_Fra gment_The_Internet, _'It_Will_Not_Be_The_Interne =?utf-8?Q?t=5FAs=5FWe=5FKnow=5FIt'=5F?=

Victor Ndonnang ndonnang at nvconsulting.biz
Tue Feb 4 22:25:24 SAST 2014

Dear All,

I shared this interview of Fadi Chehade on this list because I strongly believe in “One World, One Internet, Everybody Connected”. Thank you all who have been commenting it in a very open and constructive way.

No nation or “Sovereign” State can really developed by building walls around itself. This is true in the traditional economy, This is also true in the digital economy as well. The history also have two good examples for us: The Soviet Union and China.

To pretend having our own internet, we must ask yourself were the Internet comes from and why It is called the Internet. We are enjoying the Internet today because of the US, we should always have that in mind. It is true, the Internet is today a global and public tool but It comes from somewhere, from the will of a nation, the USA. The Internet is the Internet because It is open, because It allows us to communicate, to innovate with permission, to do good things but also bad things.

A tool is by nature neutral, people can use it to do good and bad things. When bad things happen, We should blame the perpetrator and not the tool.

For those willing a fragmented Internet, the can start search for another name because “When isn’t Open, It is not the Internet” as one of the father of the Internet used to said.

A bad diagnostic almost lead to a bad solution. For those want wanted to shift the surveillance and intelligence debate to an Internet debate, I just want to remind them that nations States have spying on each other’s since centuries not just because of the Internet…

Let’s do want is good for Africa and the next generations rather than doing what the USSR does when the telephone system was invented.

Best regards,

Victor Ndonnang.