[AfrICANN-discuss] ICANN Africa Event in Addis 5-8 March 2013

Dr Yassin Mshana ymshana2003 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 23:33:23 SAST 2013

Fellow Africans,

It is pleasing to see that an Event has been decided to take place in Addis
with obvious objective which, to me is,  "Creation/Development and
Promotion of DNS Business in Africa". This is called for as par of Strategy
for Africa - am I right so far?

To me, when it comes to business whereby investment and risks are part of
it, I would expect the Business Community to take the lead in this while
the ICANN-AWS facilitates the process.

That is the case unless the Addis meeting is intended to formulate a Policy
- after all the call for this meeting might have missed a number
of business-people and stakeholders since it was posted during the delicate
period when many people might be observing End of Year holidays (risky
timing?).

The expectation is that, when such important business meeting is called
for, a number of business executives should be the ones responding eagerly
since there is an opportunity - I trust my observation that it is only .NA
who is interacting by educating us strongly since there is a business to
look after and going to attend this Addis get together would only please
his shareholders if it was going to create more business (well done .na
manager :-))

The comment/note by the Development Expert over 20 years about the use of
<.na> and <.com> is obviously right - I for one would like to use <.sl> or
<.africa> but as you can see I am on <.com> as well..? This is something to
loo at with One Vision not with individual aims.

Having said that, my wish is to let those who are in DNS business in Africa
take central part setting the Business Agenda in collaboration with the
 Technical cadre and that should provide an opportunity for the newcomers
to prepare for their participation. My opinion would be to run contact
existing and casting a net to reach prospective DNS business-persons in the
preparation of the important activity: Then we will be promoting DNS this
should not be just-another-ICANN sponsored meeting...? There are ICANN
funds to be utilized and should be justly utilized.

I got a feeling that the Addis meeting should be postponed to provide time
for consultations and preparations in order for it to be effective.

That is all now on this.

Kind regards

Yassin
(always for Africa!)

On 2 February 2013 16:09, Nii Narku Quaynor <quaynor at ghana.com> wrote:

> On Feb 2, 2013, at 15:35, Ben Fuller <abutiben at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Again a big hurdle is technical. Many of the small operators start out
> by using commercial host in/DNS services. Those that grow (because not all
> of them will grow) move on to their own hosting set up once the cash flow
> warrants. For them to start offering DNS services, you need to make it easy
> for them. That means getting the ccTLD registers to provide automated
> platforms for users.
> >
> These are part of why technical/business exchange would continue as such
> meeting by default include technical exchange but see issues:
>
> - technical barrier improvements
> - registry/registrar separation
> - ccTLD separation of sld's
> - role of technical consultants
> - addressing technical barrier eg university curriculum advancement
>
> So, we can address the issues but together multistakeholder and openly
>
> Best

*Independent Consultant*
c/o DFID-Sierra Leone
5 Off Spur Road, Wilberforce
Freetown,SIERRA LEONE
Skype: yassinmshana1, Mobile:+23276926697, Fax: (+232) 22235769
*Do You really NEED TO PRINT THIS?*
 * "The illiterates of the 21st century are not those who cannot read or*
* write** but those who cannot learn, relearn and unlearn" Alvin Toffler*