[AfrICANN-discuss] Internet regulation at national level?

Dr Eberhard W Lisse el at lisse.NA
Wed Oct 31 21:47:23 SAST 2012

Just for the record, who owns AfriNIC's Whois database?

I assume this will be the juristic person AfriNIC under South
African law because its technical operations are located there but
also under Mauritian law, with which I am even less familiar.

AfriNIC's directors and staff might have a fiduciary responsibility
in this regards under South African and/or Mauritian law, which
might even be stronger because AfriNIC is a not for profit entity,
with pertinent tax benefits.

Letting outsiders interfere with, or dispose of AfriNIC's assets
might have extreme personal repercussions for AfriNIC's directors
and staff.

But on the other hand, you can just let Ms Inne take the ding-dong if
it happens...

el

On 2012-10-31 10:14 , Adiel Akplogan wrote:
[...]
> Pierre has mentioned WHOIS services and data accuracy that need to
> be regulated.  Putting aside the scary word "regulation" here, I
> will agree that WHOIS related issues are important to look at in
> our region.  So in order to move the discussion forward, what are
> the "regulation" measures that you think government should take to
> solve the problem of accuracy?  What are regulators doing right
> now to encourage Network Operator in their respective jurisdiction
> to properly register and update their IP addresses usage in the
> public WHOIS database already provided by AFRINIC? Can that
> already be a starting point?
>
> In April this year we have received a Policy proposal "AfriNIC
> Whois Database Clean-up" AFPUB-2012-GEN-001-DRAFT-01
[...]
> (still under discussion) which, if approved by the community, will
> trigger a process to cleanup our IP address WHOIS database.  That
> proposal in fact reinforced the fact that the issue of WHOIS data
> accuracy is also of concern for operators as well.
[...]