[AfrICANN-discuss] Let's be proactive

Adamou Nacer adamou.nacer at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 10:45:29 SAST 2012

Hi,
Le 30/10/2012 08:37, Pierre Lotis NANKEP a écrit :

>     *From :* Nii Narku Quaynor <quaynor at ghana.com>
>

>     On Oct 30, 2012, at 5:30, Pierre Lotis NANKEP <lnankep at yahoo.fr
>     <mailto:lnankep at yahoo.fr>> wrote:
>
>>     Nii : "So, exactly what is to be regulated about Internet in a
>>     country ?"
>>
>>     Quick answer :
>>     - Domain Names;
>>     - IP Addresses;
>>     - Contents(very complex).
>>
>     What do you want to regulate about domain names and IP addresses?
>     You have to get specific.
>
>     The answer is trivial! Not?

Pierre, personally I don't like this word especially when it comes from
a government's organization like ANTIC. In general, this means that
regulation is a set of rules and decisions that are taken by the
government without taking into account interests and points of view of
all stakeholders (civil society, academia, private sector, etc). And in
general, the interest of government doesn't totally coincide with those
of other stakeholders. An example in Cameroon is the national fiber
optic backbone's issue.
In summary, I don't have any problem with regulation as far as the
process of regulating take into account the widest audience expectations
about the resource to be regulate.

Once this (regulation) is done in a collaborative and transparent way,
its results have more chances to be accepted by all parties and that in
my opinion is what we are looking for. Internet resources are well
managed once the decisions that rule them are accepted by all parties.

Another danger is in the process to forget that even if we are
discussing issues of Internet in a national framework, what we decide
has an impact even out of the national territory. Websites that are
identified by domain names are visited from other countries too, as an
example. So the International Internet community is a stakeholder to
include in the discussion.

This is just an opinion from a non expert ;-)