[AfrICANN-discuss] The world is moving gradually towards cyber war

Douglas Onyango ondouglas at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 09:39:36 SAST 2012

El,
On 22 October 2012 21:33, Dr Eberhard W Lisse <el at lisse.na> wrote:
> What is there to attack in Africa?
There is a lot --- start with the small easier targets like gov't
websites built off vulnerable CMS'; some of these may not even be
hosted in Africa, but when they are attacked, the damage is done --- a
government's reputation is dented as with some other sophisticated
attack

Now to a more complex ones --- I know an African country that made
national exam results available online and in the process
inadvertently allowed access to their internal systems because they
didn't follow basic webserver security guidelines.

These two examples illustrate a loss in data and a damage in
reputation ---- and serve to teach that there is alot to attack in
Africa. Also given our laxity, we have become very easy targets for
alot of hackers out there.

Not all hope is lost though! I think like we walked passed the
land-line era into mobile, our late adoption allows us to draw lessons
from countries like Estonia, Iran and the US and embed this right from
the design and implementation stages of getting our critical
infrastructure on computers/networks

Douglas Onyango | +256(0794)981329 | Twitter: @ondouglas
Life is the educator's practical joke in which you spend the first
half learning, and the second half learning that everything you
learned in the first was a joke.