[AfrICANN-discuss] The world is moving gradually towards cyber war

Poncelet Ileleji pileleji at ymca.gm
Tue Oct 23 00:13:17 SAST 2012

Hello Colleagues,

I think it will be very naive to think there is nothing to attack in Africa
with the numerous e governmental portals coming up and also as a lot of
governmental data centre are been developed, these are systems that can be
attacked.

The fact remains their is still a scramble  for resources in our continent,
the recent crisis between South Sudan and Sudan says a lot.  The role of
China as an emerging force technologically is their for all to see, 'How
the ICANN community engages China come the 46th ICANN Meeting next year
will be  interesting as China with Heuwei is playing a key role within
Africa network communication Infrastructure  today.

Am not been paranoid but but Africa can be prone to attack it can be
economic sabotage or multi nationals playing at each other etc, the
billions Angola are going to pump on the electricity sector means
technically  a lot of this new grid  will managed through computer
networks, If Dos Santos achieves his aim that grid he plans to set up for
all Angolans to have electricity will rely a lot on Computer systems
infrastructure that need to be rigid and secured, but we can be prone, the
sooner we realise our systems need better protection our cyber laws and
initiatives need to conform with International standards like the
initiatives taken by Mauritius the better for us all.

My 0.00001% contribution to this interesting topic.

Peace

Poncelet
'

On 22 October 2012 18:33, Dr Eberhard W Lisse <el at lisse.na> wrote:

> What is there to attack in Africa?
>
> el
>
> On 2012-10-22 17:49 , Claude Essomba wrote:
> > Thanks Pierre ,
> >
> > I really welcome this posted article.  The question that I am
> > asking regarding Africa is as follow : Are we ready to face such
> > attacks ?  Maybe we should like the US , Europe and other to
> > Simulate such attacks at the gov level to understand what could be
> > the impact.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > *CLAUDE VINCENT DE PAUL ESSOMBA*

Poncelet O. Ileleji MBCS
Coordinator
The Gambia YMCAs Computer Training Centre & Digital Studio
MDI Road Kanifing South
P. O. Box 421 Banjul
The Gambia, West Africa
Tel: (220) 4370240