[AfrICANN-discuss] Who controls the internet?

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Fri Oct 19 10:18:55 SAST 2012

If I look at ZA or more specifically CO.ZA and give reasons why it works
reasonably well...

Cost: Currently this is pretty low - around the $6 level. Probably would
make little difference until the price was above $30. Hosting a fair
sized website in South Africa is from $100 to $300 a year - so 10% of
that for a Domain is probably reasonable.

Accessibility: I think this is the key issue regarding ccTLD's. If its
easy and quick to register, then people will use it.
Our advantage here are... Anyone can register a 'co.za', payments can be
done by CC, time to register and have up and running - just a few
minutes.

Reliability: CO.ZA Nameservers have never been down. The Registration
portal has been down - but never long. However, some people measure
reliability by how well e-mail (etc) work. Most SA ISP's are quite
reliable, so 'co.za' e-mail addresses work reasonably well (we have our
moments).

These are simply my own (possibly incorrect) own observations - not
wearing any particular hat.