[AfrICANN-discuss] Who controls the internet?

Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Thu Oct 18 23:36:12 SAST 2012

SM, its obvious we need to pull up our socks, although those
statistics are a bit biased. I know for a fact that there are more
gTLDs registered by Africans for Africa than there are ccTLD. If
current and future generations start registering domaisn from their
respective country registries, we will see a shift from those
statistics. The same with addressability, most of Africa's content is
hosted abroad for reasons that have been discussed in other threads.

Maybe it's time we started consuming our own dog food. In Germany for
example, there ccTLD is the second largest in the world after .com.
Its something us industrial players should pursue.

On 18/10/2012, SM <sm at resistor.net> wrote:
> The image at
> http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2012/8/2/1343919312614/Internet-map-008.jpg
>
> could be used as input to answer the question in the subject
> line.  Africa is a quarter the size of South America in terms of
> addressability.  The most visible ccTLD in Africa is .za which is
> 0.3% of the web.  The total international bandwidth for Africa is 1
> Tbps.  It was mentioned that Africa has less international bandwidth
> than Austria.
>
> In other news a well-known search engine has threatened to exclude
> some sites in a country from search results if the country goes ahead
> with plans to make search engines pay for content.
>
> Regards,
> -sm

Mwendwa Kivuva
For
Business Development
Transworld Computer Channels
Cel: 0722402248
twitter.com/lordmwesh
transworldAfrica.com | Fluent in computing
kenya.or.ke | The Kenya we know