[AfrICANN-discuss] Initiative Unveiled to Increase ICANN¹s Presence and Participation across Africa

Vika Mpisane vika at zadna.org.za
Wed Oct 17 05:38:59 SAST 2012

Dear all,

ICANN has published a press release on its increased presence and
participation initiative in Africa:

http://www.icann.org/en/news/press/releases/release-16oct12-en.pdf

For Immediate Release

Initiative Unveiled to Increase ICANN¹s Presence and Participation across
Africa

Plan Receives Enthusiastic Support of CEO and Board Chair

Toronto, CanadaŠ Leaders of Africa¹s Internet community have unveiled a
comprehensive plan designed to dramatically increase African involvement in
ICANN¹s multi-stakeholder model.

The initiative was presented to ICANN during the organization¹s 45th public
meeting in Toronto, Canada by the Africa Strategy Working Group (ASWG). It
was formed after ICANN¹s new President and Chief Executive Officer, Fadi
Chehadé encouraged a stronger voice from the African continent in ICANN¹s
multi-stakeholder model.

³When we met three months ago at the ICANN meeting in Prague, I felt a sense
of frustration at our inability to come together and move the Africa agenda
forward,² said Chehadé. ³It¹s incredible what this working group has
achieved in such a short period of time by engaging with many concerned
groups and individuals through the multi-stakeholder process.²

³We employed a bottom-up, open and public process in developing this
initiative,² said Nii Quaynor of Ghana, a well-respected Internet leader in
Africa and Chair of the ASWG. ³We think this plan will lead to dramatically
increased African participation in ICANN and greater presence for the
organization on the African continent.²

The plan was written with the input and broad support of ICANN¹s African
community, Africa's Regional Registry for Internet Number Resources
(AFRINIC) and other influential African organizations involved in the
Internet ecosystem.

³We are taking a new approach to Africa,² said Tarek Kamel, a Senior Advisor
to the ICANN President. ³This plan is based on capacity building, business
development, specifically developing the Domain Name System (DNS) business
in Africa and insuring inclusion.²

The three year initiative, entitled ICANN's New Approach to Africa, lays out
clear goals and milestones and an action plan for the first 12 months. It is
a collaborative effort by AFRINIC, Africa's Regional Registry for Internet
Number Resources and the ICANN community. The initiative will now be posted
for public comment.

Currently, African internet users represent only 6 per cent of Internet
users worldwide. This initiative is designed to dramatically increase that
number.

To review the presentation of ICANN's New Approach to Africa, go here:
http://toronto45.icann.org/meetings/toronto2012/presentation-aswg-icann-afri
ca-strategy-v1.1-16oct12-en.pdf.

To download high resolution photos during the unveiling of the Africa
Initiative, go here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/icann/sets/72157631779093929/ .

MEDIA CONTACTS:

Brad White