[AfrICANN-discuss] Open Source "your opinion"

Adamou Nacer adamou.nacer at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 10:53:34 SAST 2012

Hello Bope,
Before answering, I will try to look at the motivation behind "open
source". Open source is ideal when:
- we need to share the risks on a project
- we need to share the cost of a project
- we need to accelerate feedback from customers and stakeholders

These three motivations are implicitely based on the need of a community
sustaining the open source project. And if we think community, we think
collaboration, interaction. In the area of software, every successful
open source project I know is successful because of a strong community
behind it.
So if we talk about community, we need a media by which that community
will collaborate: Internet. Internet allows us to build a world wide
community. Internet allow that community to work together.

An excellent illustration of this is Linux operating system. Eric S
Raymonds' "cathedral and the bazaar" article is a good reading on this.

Regards