[AfrICANN-discuss] me.ga suspended

Dr Eberhard Lisse el at lisse.NA
Thu Nov 8 16:32:14 SAST 2012

Ben,

Exactly.

It DOES NOT MATTER what happens in New Zealand, and whether Mr
Dotcom is a crook.

These are totally separate issues.  Even crooks have rights.

I personally would trust him as far as I can throw him, but if he
has registered a domain name, he has registered the domain name.
Under an Agreement probably, and in exchange for a consideration.

To take a name down before it is even involved in any activity,
nefarious or otherwise just puts Africa deeper in the hole as far as
I am concerned.

I could also be construed as substantial misbehavior...

Businesses wishing to pay for something like to have predictability
in addition to reasonable service.

Many westerners bad mouth us because of our institutional issues,
because of our governance issues, and because of our reliability
issues, to put it mildly.

And I recall vividly many years ago at ICANN in Wellington InternetX
venting their frustrations about African Registries.  I speak
regularly with the big Registrars and their Africa desk managers.
They are not impressed, generally...

And what do we do?  We confirm their stereotypes.

Never mind that the "Internet Governance" means nothing as blatant
government grab of more or less valuable property or property
perceived as potentially such, so the Deputy Undersecretary for
Paper Clips' son in law can get a job and travel in style, even if
the Registry is bankrupt for several years in a row.

greetings, el