[AfrICANN-discuss] Re: AfrICANN Digest, Vol 65, Issue 90

Michele Neylon :: Blacknight michele at blacknight.ie
Mon Jul 30 17:32:30 SAST 2012

On 30 Jul 2012, at 16:15, Gideon <gideonrop at gmail.com>
 wrote:

>  Fifth, the application submitted by DCA Trust is for the geographic name 'AFRICA', pronounced as 'DotAfrica'. This is for a 6-character ASCII string. The application submitted by DCA Trust was correctly designated by ICANN as referring to a geographic name. Your understanding that it is for 'dotdotAfrica' is incorrect.  Our published part of application is posted and available here http://gtldresult.icann.org/application-result/applicationstatus/applicationdetails/1276

No. You might think you applied for .africa, but you actually applied for .dotafrica
The ICANN new TLD sites lists applications alphabetically so if you had applied for .africa you would appear with the only application that currently exists for that string

See: http://gtldresult.icann.org/application-result/applicationstatus/applicationdetails/1276 - which you actually linked to

The important bit is the first part ie. the string, which in your case is "dotafrica" not "africa"

Compare this to the application for .abogado:

http://gtldresult.icann.org/application-result/applicationstatus/applicationdetails/1731

The string is clearly displayed as "abogado"

This was all covered in the applicant guidebook

Regards

Michele

Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Solutions ♞