[AfrICANN-discuss] Help with .africa history

Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Mon Jul 30 13:56:04 SAST 2012

On 30 July 2012 13:27, Neil Dundas <neild at dundas.co.za> wrote:

> Compare the following string applications:
>
> *.africa* :
> http://gtldresult.icann.org/application-result/applicationstatus/applicationdetails/1184

> *.dotafrica* :
> http://gtldresult.icann.org/application-result/applicationstatus/applicationdetails/1276
>

> *Notes*:
> The above applied for strings *are not identical*. In simple terms,
> according to ICANN, DCA Trust has not applied for .Africa. This is a simple
> fact and can be verified against ICANN's application database.

Does DCA agree to this interpretation that they have applied for a
.DOTAFRICA string and not a .AFRICA string?

We can be having different interpretations than the applicant. McTim had
raised this question before.

This ICANN link also shows .dotafrica and .africa interpreted as two
distinct strings.
http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/program-status/application-results/strings-1200utc-13jun12-en

Interesting then because if that is the case, dotafrica does not qualify as
a geographic string or does it? If Big Brother Africa or Africa Magic
decide to register their strings as .bigbrotherafrica and .africamagic,
will they qualify as GEO strings? I dont think so, but they will be valid
strings all the same.

--
Mwendwa Kivuva (lordmwesh)