Fw: [AfrICANN-discuss] Help with .africa history

Brian Munyao Longwe blongwe at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 06:53:33 SAST 2012

*Facts Regarding the African Union Commission (.Africa) application*

* *

1.    The African Union Commission’s (AUC) involvement in the dotAfrica
(.Africa) Top Level Domain (TLD) process has been mandated by African Heads
of State (OR Tambo Declaration) and African Minister’s in charge of ICT
(Abuja Declaration).****

2.    In fulfilling its mandate the AUC has, in accordance with an open and
transparent Request for Proposal (RFP) process, officially endorsed
UniForum SA t/a the ZA Central Registry (ZACR) to apply for and launch the
dotAfrica (.Africa) TLD.****

3.    The AUC/ZACR, in accordance with the procedures and standards
prescribed by the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers
(ICANN), has officially lodged an application with ICANN for the delegation
of the (.Africa), under reference number: 1-1243-89583. This application
constitutes the official AUC endorsed application for the dotAfrica
(.Africa) Top Level Domain.  Further details of this official application
is available at:****
http://gtldresult.icann.org/application-result/applicationstatus/applicationdetails/1184
  ****

4.    There is a competing private application, for a confusingly similar
string, lodged by DotConnectAfrica Trust. The application for the
dotdotAfrica (.dotAfrica) TLD string, under reference number 1-1165-42560.**
**

5.    The AUC/ZACR’s application meets and exceeds, the minimum evaluation
criteria set by ICANN for application of Geographic strings.****

6.    The AUC/ZACR’s application, is correctly designated as a geographic
application in accordance with the criteria and processes outlined in
ICANN’s Applicant Guidebook.****

In particular:  *Africa (and therefore .Africa) is a clearly designated
geographic area as defined in the UNESCO “Composition of macro geographical
(continental) regions, geographical sub-regions, and selected economic and
other groupings” list (http://unstats.un.org/unsd/methods/m49/m49regin.htm).
*Therefore the designation of the official dotAfrica (.Africa) TLD string
application, as a geographic name, is technically and procedurally correct.
The "geographic evaluation process" that this application is subject to
provides sufficient checks and balances for the protection of interests and
rights of African governments and the pan-African community. **

7.    The AUC endorsed dotAfrica (.Africa) application has been, and
continues to be, a collaborative African initiative involving African
governments, ICT stakeholders and the broader African community.****

In this regard the stated mission and objective of the AUC’s officially
endorsed application is enshrined in its answers to question 18 of the
Application, which is publicly available on the ICANN New gTLD website
http://gtldresult.icann.org/application-result/applicationstatus/applicationdetails/1184
 ****

** **

  [image: logo]