[AfrICANN-discuss] Help with .africa history

Calvin Browne calvin at orange-tree.alt.za
Mon Jul 2 13:19:27 SAST 2012

On 02/07/2012 13:10, Calvin Browne wrote:
> On 28/06/2012 13:24, Dandjinou Pierre wrote:
>> Rebecca,
>>
>> Good you are writing the history of .Africa
>>
>> To my knowledge, there has not been any application for the .Africa
>> string, apart from those we now have with the new gTLD programme.
>
> There was an actual application in one of the previous rounds. The
> applicant even paid a fee, but never came to present.
>
> I personally helped to pen the GAC' s opposition statement to this
> application. This statement was, if memory serves me right, actually
> adopted by the Country Code TLD Registry Constituency, as it was then
> known, largely intact.
>
> Herewith the application list concerned:
>
> http://archive.icann.org/en/tlds/tld-applications-lodged-02oct00.htm
>
> regards
>
> --Calvin

>From
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/icann/la2000/archive/scribe-icann-111500.html
- the cc's report was summarised (Ben Edelmann had a habit of summing up
what was actually said) as "African ICANN participants: Urge vigilance
when delegating regional TLDs, especially regions without a developed
Internet community. "

Also:

http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/icann/la2000/archive/scribe-icann-111400.html

"
C. ccTLD Constituency: Past 2 days with over 40 ccTLDs present, got
substantial and sometimes unanimous consensus on 4 items. Materials at
http://www.wwtld.org .
1. Contract for services between ccTLDs and ICANN.
2. Discussed �best practice� document. Further discussion at 10:30.
3. Object to regional geographic names for new TLDs (�.africa�).
"

Seems even the ISP constituency got on board:

"
D. ISP Constituency: Tony Harris presenting.
<SNIP>
4. New gTLDs: Aware of concerns about .africa. Advise careful and
deliberate rollout of new TLDs to cope with land rush problems.
Concerned that review may have been biased. Expenses of process should
be made public.
"

I can't find the GAC's letter - they had a habit of storing it on a
separate server.

regards

--Calvin