[AfrICANN-discuss] Help with .africa history

Calvin Browne calvin at orange-tree.alt.za
Mon Jul 2 13:10:41 SAST 2012

On 28/06/2012 13:24, Dandjinou Pierre wrote:
> Rebecca,
>
> Good you are writing the history of .Africa
>
> To my knowledge, there has not been any application for the .Africa
> string, apart from those we now have with the new gTLD programme.

There was an actual application in one of the previous rounds. The
applicant even paid a fee, but never came to present.

I personally helped to pen the GAC' s opposition statement to this
application. This statement was, if memory serves me right, actually
adopted by the Country Code TLD Registry Constituency, as it was then
known, largely intact.

Herewith the application list concerned:

http://archive.icann.org/en/tlds/tld-applications-lodged-02oct00.htm

regards

--Calvin