[AfrICANN-discuss] Internet Access Is Not a Human Right

Vika Mpisane vika at zadna.org.za
Thu Jan 5 14:53:16 SAST 2012

Hi Nigel,

Vint has "bailed" me out, I supposeJ The point you're making is about an
enabler to the enjoyment of at least 2 human rights - in this case the
rights to freedom of expression and to access to information. The Internet
is only the enabler, not a human right on its own. It can become a right,
though, but that would need a law (a statute) to proclaim it a right, in
which case it would only remain a civil or statutory right, not a human
right.

Your right to water analogy marks the distinction well, I think: the human
right involved is the right to life, and "water" becomes an enabler (a
means) to the enjoyment of that right, the same way as healthcare is the
enabler of the same.

Vika