[AfrICANN-discuss] Sophiagate

Calvin Browne calvin at orange-tree.alt.za
Wed Dec 19 08:06:57 SAST 2012

Hi,

On 19/12/2012 00:37, McTim wrote:
> Pierre,
>
> On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 4:39 AM, Pierre Lotis NANKEP <lnankep at yahoo.fr> wrote:
>> "are you also going to post something original and/or of substance
>> soon?"
> I had not seen the objections link before, so I thought it was useful.
>   There are thousands of comments, lots to wade thru!
>
> In other news, DCA drew 1005 and Uniforurm drew 307 yesterday in the Draw.

All 4 of UniForum SA's applications were right up there - the others:

.durban - 303
.joburg - 566
.capetown - 761

> Can anyone explain to me how the draw affects those that may be in contention?

as I understand - and this is not my area of responsibility, after
Initial Evaluation
(specifically 2.2 of the guidebook, and in this case specifically
"Whether evidence
of requisite government approval is provided in the case of certain
geographic
names.", the contended set take on the highest number ie.

> I mean, why bother getting a lower number if your competition has a
> higher number?
you want your fellow contenders to have low numbers.

My understanding is that ICANN is looking to push contended stuff as far
down the line
as possible.

--Calvin