[AfrICANN-discuss] WCIT.In Conclusion

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 03:11:41 SAST 2012

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 7:16 PM, Y Mshana2003 <ymshana2003 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well done to Fadi et al for this.
>
> One important task is to ensure that ICANN processes are not influenced  by
> politics be regional or national at any level.
>
> The most immediate challenge is that, in Africa Region, there seem to exist
> a very thin line or porous barrier between Business and Politics when it
> comes to the Internet. This is based on the scramble for .africa gTLD.  The
> question is still, "why was the AUC brought in while GAC is the link between
> Govts and ICANN?".

As I think I have made clear before, it's "because the guidebook said so":

"An applied-for gTLD string that falls into any of 1 through 4 listed
above is considered to represent a geographic name. In the event of
any doubt, it is in the applicant’s interest to consult with relevant
governments and public authorities and enlist their support or
non-objection prior to submission of the application, in order to
preclude possible objections and pre-address any ambiguities
concerning the string and applicable requirements."

Clearly the AU/AUC are "public authorities", no?

--
Cheers,

McTim