[AfrICANN-discuss] ITU

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 14:40:52 SAST 2012

HI Simon (and Katim),

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 1:56 AM, Simon M. Balthazar
<sbalthazar at tznic.or.tz>wrote:

>  On 07/12/2012 01:28, McTim wrote:
>

>  The DoC DOES have a no-fee contract with ICANN to run the IANA, this
> does not mean they can determine what is in the root.
>

> McTim,
>
> In IANA Root Zone Process, there's a part that requires DoC Authorization.
> They are suppose to authorize all changes to the DNS root zone, and the
> root zone database. And that is done after approval of the ICANN board,
> meaning they have the final say on what is to be in the root.

Yes, the process is more complicated than I indicated, it actually involves
4 groups of folk (3 if you don't count the root-server operators.  My point
was that it is too simplistic to say that the USG controls the root.

from Wikipedia:

"ICANN <http://icannwiki.com/index.php/ICANN> is one of four entities that
is a part of the DNSSEC process, it is responsible for receiving and
inspecting the information from the TLD
<http://icannwiki.com/index.php/TLD> operators.
These actions are perfomed in conjunction with:

   1. The National Telecommunications and Information
Administration<http://icannwiki.com/index.php/NTIA> (NTIA),
   which is a division of the U.S. Department of
Commerce<http://icannwiki.com/index.php/DOC>,
   and is responsible for authorizing changes to the root
zone<http://icannwiki.com/index.php/Root_Zone>
   .
   2. Verisign <http://icannwiki.com/index.php/Verisign>, which is
   contracted by the U.S. government to edit the root zone with the
   information supplied and authenticated by
ICANN<http://icannwiki.com/index.php/ICANN>,
   which is subsequently authorized by the Department of Commerce, and also to
   distribute the root zone file containing information on where to find info
   on TLDs <http://icannwiki.com/index.php/TLD>
   3. An international group of Root Service
Operators<http://icannwiki.com/index.php?title=Root_Service_Operators&action=edit&redlink=1>
that
   distributes root information from the root zone file across the Internet."

--
Cheers,

McTim