[AfrICANN-discuss] Towards mailing list version 2.0

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Thu Dec 6 10:21:51 SAST 2012

On Thu, 2012-12-06 at 08:15 +0200, Dr Eberhard W Lisse wrote:

> My emails from the Macs are signed with SSL as a matter of course,
> but I haven't had time yet to load the certificate onto the iPhone 5
> and iPad mini.

> > The mailing list version 2.0 = Face-list (subscription with photo)
> > + Security embedded (through digital signature provide with
> > standard as OpenPGP).

Insisting that S/MIME is used on this list might not be such a bad idea.
This is an AfriNIC list and they can provide S/MIME  certificates for
people that validate themselves with copies of passports - etc.
One can also use the free services of people like StartCom
(www.startssl.com) to get a suitable S/MIME signature as well - you also
need to provide verifiable information.
(I just prefer S/MIME over PGP).

These certificates can all be exported/imported across various devices.

If this increases the trust factor of identities on this list (no other
software changes needed), I think this would be a positive move.

Maybe there also needs to be a discussion on an AUP?

--
  .  .     ___. .__      Posix Systems - (South) Africa
 /| /|       / /__       mje at posix.co.za  -  Mark J Elkins, Cisco CCIE