[AfrICANN-discuss] ITU to control Internet?

Victor Ndonnang ndonnang at isoc-cameroon.org
Thu Aug 9 15:48:10 SAST 2012

Hi Nacer,

Do you really think that the ITU can do the job better than, It is done
today? I think we don't need to change the model that is working fine
because of political reasons. The ITU is in charge of telecommunications and
Telecom is different to the Internet.

The issue of renegotiation of the ITRs was initially discussed in closed
doors, despite of the little openness that we are seen now, the ITU only
listen to Its member states and not to the Internet community. Every member
state is invited to comment proposals of modification to the ITRs or propose
their owns. In some countries, the process is open, in others, It is close.
In Cameroon for example, there is a working group on that issue created by
the ministry of Posts and Telecommunications and you can ask to be invited
to join the working group. For Africa, there will be a regional meeting
before the WCIT and I don't know if at the end there will be a common
African position.

Thanks to SM for his comments. The Internet is a gift bring to us by the US,
they invested a lot to get what we have today. Today It is a public gift and
I'm not supporting those who want to take it away from the US. May It would
lead to something else with different name.

Best regards,
Victor.
Ps. For your information, find attached the ITRs document with proposed
modifications.