[AfrICANN-discuss] ITU to control Internet?

Ntoko, Alexander alexander.ntoko at itu.int
Thu Aug 9 14:18:11 SAST 2012

Dear All,

There is a lot of misinformation about ITU, the World Conference on International Telecommunications (WCIT-12) and the International Telecommunication Regulations (ITRs).
Some of this misinformation is due to ignorance on the part of the authors of these articles while others are simply due to hidden agendas of the authors.

Whatever the case, it is important to have some basic information about ITU, WCIT and the ITRs so that you know what to expect at WCIT in Dubai in December 2012.

To start, I would suggest that you visit  http://www.itu.int/en/wcit-12/Pages/WCIT-backgroundbriefs.aspx for background information about WCIT and the ITRs.

For those of you interested in some of what has been published by the press, you can visit http://www.scoop.it/t/wcit-12

Regards,

Alexander NTOKO
Chief, Operations and Planning Department
Telecommunication Standardization Bureau (TSB)
International Telecommunication Union (ITU)
Place des Nations, CH-1211
Geneva, Switzerland
Email: alexander.ntoko at itu.int<mailto:alexander.ntoko at itu.int>
Web: http://www.itu.int