[AfrICANN-discuss] ITU to control Internet?

Victor Ndonnang ndonnang at isoc-cameroon.org
Wed Aug 8 15:00:22 SAST 2012

Dear Nacer,

Thank you for bringing this topic to the "AfrICANN" mailing list. Are you
part of any UN or ITU policies discussing mailing list? I guess no.
First of all I would like to answer your subject question: No, the ITU is
not welcome to control the Internet. Why?

Simply because the ITU's policies development process is not open, not
transparent and not inclusive. Did you ever asked yourself where the great
success of the Internet came from? Because of its open structure. You don't
need the mandate of your country to participate in the IETF or ICANN work
for example. The governance of the Internet is mainly technical and we don't
need a voting organization to take care of it; we need a consensus based
organization (like IETF hosted by ISOC,ICANN, W3C...) to do the work. Let me
come back to your remarks and questions:

- We all agree that the Internet was born 100% US but today, It is 100%
global. Naturally, Its Governance has to be 100% global and inclusive. The
ICANN which is an important part the Internet ecosystem today is in eyes of
many not 100% global but is working to become so. The WSIS calls for a
multi-stakeholder governance of the Internet and I can affirm that ICANN is
a model of a multi-stakeholder organization. I can agree that ICANN need
some ameliorations but I don't think the ITU can do better.

- Basically a ccTLD have to be run for the interest of the local Internet
Community and It is not always the case in many African Countries and that
is why many of our countries are facing the problem of redelegation.
Delegation and Redelegation policies are discussed within the ccNSO  and
implemented by ICANN as the contractor of the IANA function. From my
knowledge redelegation is not dictated by the US DoC.

- ICANN deal with domain names and not web content and I think any web site
is subject to the law of the country where it is hosted.

Personally I cannot support the proposal of putting the Internet under the
UN organization control. The Internet was built by engineers and not by
politicians, and Its governance is technical by nature. Today the Internet
Government is run with full participation of governments and I don't think
we need a member state organization to lead the Internet. We all know how
the UN works today and we can easily imagine how an UN's organization can
run the Internet...We all want the Internet critical resources and standards
to be managed with competence and excellence and not with bureaucracy and
political balance.

Hope you will find my comments helpful.
Best regards,
Victor.