[AfrICANN-discuss] ITU to control Internet?

Adamou Nacer adamou.nacer at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 10:59:04 SAST 2012

Hi all,
you have certainly already read this post [1] on the next ITU's WCIT
meeting by the end of this year. This week, this is certainly the fifth
post I read on the subject and I am asking myself some questions. So as
I am new on Internet Governance issues, I would finally look for answers
from you:
- I saw strong opposal from US representatives arguing that the current
governance model is working pretty well and don't need to be change. I
am agreing with that, except on some points. For a country to have its
ccTLD for exemple redelegated, we need approval from the US DoC. A US
court's decision can seals the sort of any website as soon as this
website is hosted by a US law's ruled company. Even, ICANN in charge of
Internet Governance coordination is ruled according to US laws. These
are just some examples on the subject.
- I have even read an article a few days ago (than to our fellow Mamadou
Lo) on the fact that US government can take control of Internet in case
of emergency, as if Internet was like the US telephone system.

I don't ignore the huge positive impact US has had through the history
on the development of Internet as we know it nowadays, but we are
talking about something that is no longer belonging to a country, but
that is an universal resource where full openness and democracy are rules.

So now I am asking, how can we reject to China/Russia proposal of
putting Internet under the UN's ITU management and break its present
governance model while we are not struggling to have a less US dependent
Internet which is an issue of same nature in my opinion?
What would be the african position (if there is any) on this issue?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Regards

[1]
http://www.internetsociety.org/news/internet-society-board-trustees-expresses-concern-about-potential-impact-world-conference