[AfrICANN-discuss] DCA expresses commitment to work with African ccTLDs

Badru Ntege badru.ntege at nftconsult.com
Mon Nov 21 08:26:15 SAST 2011

On 20 Nov 2011, at 20:16, Dr Yassin Mshana <ymshana2003 at gmail.com> wrote:

> That is a good move - DCA to work with African partners!!.
>
> My small question after several months of rumble but no rain is that,
> "where was everybody since 2004?" -  Now that when DCA and supporters
> is about to take the lead in .africa it has suddenly become a big
> issue" - Even drawing Hon Ministers into the middle of it all.

Many people have been building the capacity and sustainability that DCA is looking to capitalize on now.  Its not just a beauty contest its a case of what substantial contribution have you done for the community.  Let's not forget that a good foundation is very important for long time sustainability.  I think if you go back since 2004 and compare how much training and positive sensitization both parties have done we can start on some positive discussions.

After all is done we want an inclusive african solution. We already have a number of them to show with over 10 years of Positively working on the continent.  I do not see why we are now trying to re-invent the wheel.  Yes DCA might have a good strategy on paper and might be able to lobby and mobilize well, but what else ?

For the sake of the community, we need to have some humility.

I do think there could be room for compromise if the real intention of DCA is to contribute to the continent in a way others have to date.

Let's dialogue this is not a simple commercial deal but if done well could have a fundamental positive impact on our continent.  Give the community some respect and put the pure facts on the table, forget the semantics, forget who said what when, lets look at who is capable to take us where we want to go and the evidence that they will be able to do that.  But also the value of  either combining forces for an eventual single solution which I hope is not too late due to the history of acrimony.