[AfrICANN-discuss] RFC on the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) Functions - Deadline March 31, 2011

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 20:21:40 SAST 2011

On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 6:40 PM, Dr Yassin Mshana <ymshana2003 at gmail.com> wrote:
> The status quo should be maintained since AINA has been managing the
> operations successfully.

Agreed

> My suggestion is on the processing of applications for Regional TLD
> this is especially the <.africa> which is being politicized by bodies
> such as AfTLD and individuals who are members of African Political
> Organs such the African Union.

You should have made your views known over the past 2 years when the
DAG was being written and rewritten.  It's actually ICANN that is in
charge of this process, NOT the IANA.  I don't think its politics so
much as competition.  If AfTLD wants to bid for this string, then they
should be allowed to compete on a level playing field along with
others.

 This is because it is creating a
> conflict of interest while tarnishing the image or the Region.

I don't see either in AfTLDs bid for .africa.

--
Cheers,

McTim