[AfrICANN-discuss] Breaking the Internet HOWTO: The Unintended Consequences of Governmental Actions

Ntege Badru badru.ntege at nftconsult.com
Tue Dec 20 13:51:16 SAST 2011

> You mean like [1]:
>
>   1. Should internet providers be allowed to prioritise one kind of
internet
>      usage of another?
[Ntege Badru]
It's all about who pays for the pipe and how much is paid.  Sad but true.

>   2. Are transparency rules on traffic management sufficient to solve
possible
>      issues?
[Ntege Badru]   Here again transparency is very subjective once again boils
down to the cost of transparency.

>   3. Would the bottlenecks and other problems disappear if we manage to
> foster
>      investment in new and open networks?
>
>   4. Would regulation promoting more infrastructure competition be reason
>      enough to bring a lighter touch to net neutrality?
[Ntege Badru]

Regulation in my book has done very little to solve or foster the growth of
the internet.  The internet world moves allot faster than the legislative
world.  We need to get better at predicting the curve and adapting to it
than attempting to control the curve.